Clear Lens Extractions
Do you suffer from a refractive error? Do you want to see better without corrective eyewear? If so, clear lens extractions, also known as refractive lens exchange, may be right for you. Clear lens extractions (CLE) is a procedure that replaces the eye's lens with an intraocular lens, which can correct your vision and decrease your dependence on glasses or contacts. Keep reading to learn more about clear lens extractions, provided by Oxford Optometry in Woodstock. ON.
What Are Clear Lens Extractions?
Clear lens extractions are similar to cataract surgery. During the procedure, an ophthalmologist replaces your lens with a synthetic one. The new lens corrects the type of refractive error you may have, whether you have nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, or presbyopia.
Pros and Cons of Clear Lens Extraction
Like most eye care and other health procedures, CLEs have pros and cons.
The benefits include:
- Clear lens extractions may be a good opportunity for clients who can't have laser surgery.
- CLEs can correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism, and presbyopia.
- The clear implant means that you won't get cataracts again.
- Post-op recovery is typically mild.
Some cons include:
- You will probably need reading glasses.
- It's harder to take out than phakic IOLs.
Types of Clear Lens Extractions
An ophthalmologist can perform the following CLE procedures with skill and care:
- Monofocal lens in each eye: This option offers the best results for distance vision. However, you will need reading glasses for near work.
- Mono-vision correction: The dominant eye receives a monofocal lens for distance vision. The non-dominant eye receives a monofocal lens for near vision.
- Multifocal lenses: This distinct intraocular lens divides light into two focal points, one for distance and the other for near vision. This option may work for patients who want corrections for short and long distances, but who do not want monovision.
Ask an ophthalmology specialist for guidance if you aren't sure about the implications of each type of clear lens extraction.
We Can Refer You to an Ophthalmologist for CLE
At Oxford Optometry in Woodstock, we walk our clients through all their options for vision correction. We are happy to try different forms of eye care corrections, such as glasses and contact lenses, so that you can make an informed decision before trying clear lens extractions. If CLE is right for you, we will refer you to an ophthalmology specialist. Contact us today at 519-421-3303 for more information on CLEs.